Moving home can be a stressful time. Whether you’re moving next door or across the country, there’s still a long list of things that need to be taken care of before you lock your front door for good. Thankfully our moving out checklist will help you to keep a handle on what needs to be done and when.
Share this Image On Your Site
The Complete Checklist for Moving out of Rental Properties – transcript
Moving can be stressful and so is thought that your deposit is at stake. Don’t risk losing out with our complete cleaning checklist. Remember: if you’re renting a shared property then you are all responsible for its condition when you move out . . .
First things first
Make sure you’ve notified your landlord or letting agency of your intention to move out.
A few weeks to go
Sort out your things. Binning isn’t the only way! You can:
In the few weeks before you move you should get rid of rubbish and start to pack things you won’t need for a little while.
The week of
Agree a cleaning schedule with your housemates. Your deposit will be claimed if the property is not in the condition it was when you first moved in.
Where to clean?
- Scrub everywhere, including the grout!
- Dust, hoover, mop and empty the bins.
- Empty, clean and defrost fridge and freezer. Switch off and leave doors open.
- Empty and clean cupboards.
- Empty bins, dust, hoover and mop.
- Wipe all appliances and tiles.
- Clean oven, grill and hob.
Mould in sealant can be cleaned away by applying kitchen roll soaked in bleach and leaving it for a few hours – magic!
- Dust, hoover and mop where necessary.
- Move furniture to its original position.
- Wipe skirting boards.
- Clean all windows.
You should also:
- Weed and tidy the garden if you’re responsible for it.
- Take meter readings. Give this info, as well as your tenancy end date, to your utilities companies.
- Recycle anything you’re leaving behind properly.
- Check if you need to turn off the heating.
- Lock all windows and doors and return the keys when expected to.
- Leave a forwarding address with your landlord or letting agency.
Did you know?
32% of withheld deposits were kept due to cleaning issues.
Statistic taken from: www.homelet.co.uk
Created by Varcity Living Ltd.